Information to help you prepare for surgery will be provided when booking ion for a procedure. In general it is a good idea to discuss coming into hospital with your child and do some role play to let them explore what might happen. Fasting instructions are very important and must be followed, but will be aimed to minimize the time you child has to go with food or liquids to drink.
Operations will be performed at the Gold Coast Private Hospital, and in most instances you will be able to take your child home on the same day of surgery. Occassionally there will be reasons for paediatric critical care post-operatively, in which case I will arrange for me to provide your child’s care at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
1. Foreskin / Circumcision links:
Article from Psychology Today in 2015 highlighting concerns about long-term psychological damage from circumcision.
This is an American author and is in part in response to a contentious pro-circumcision policy statement in the USA. It does not make a differentiation between neonatal “awake” circumcisions compared to circumcisions performed for medical reasons with the benefit of general anaesthesia and specialist care. Nevertheless it reinforces the message that circumcising a boy needs careful consideration and requires a convincing justification.
I am aware that there are strongly held expectations and beliefs regarding reasons for circumcising boys. I recognise that parents will make every effort to do what they believe is right for their child. These beliefs will be influenced by historical, cultural and religious background. I have included the following links to provide information to assist parents in making an informed decision regarding reasons for considering circumcision.
These links refer to management of foreskin conditions and circumcision in male children. (Female circumcision – also known as female genital mutilation, is illegal). Please note these links represent the opinions and consideration of the authors. As such I may not agree with every statement that is included therein.
- Circumcision of infant males – an depth review of this subject published by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Circumcision information Australia – Australian based website discussing reasons put forward to justify infant circumcisions in males. This contains links to pages with useful information regarding appropriate “care” of foreskins in babies and young boys.
- Management of Foreskin Conditions – Statement from the British Association of Paediatric Urologists on behalf of the British Association of Paediatric Surgeons and The Association of Paediatric Anaesthetists.
- Article by Robert Wheeler & Pat Malone on Male Circumcision: risk vs. benefit from Arch Dis Child 2013; 98(5): 321-2 (the entire May 2013 issue was devoted to male circumcision).
- Religious Circumcision of Male Children – Standards of Care.
2. Constipation in children:
- National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) Evidence based UK Guideline on investigating and managing constipation in childhood
- Australian resource for patients with continence issues
- A fantastic UK Charity providing information and resources to help families with children suffering difficulties using the toilet and continence – both urinary and faecal
3. Coeliac Disease:
- National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) Evidence based UK Guideline on investigating and managing
children, young people and adults with suspected coeliac disease.
- Upper lip-tie, buccal ties, frenotomy in infant.
My aim is to listen to children and families, to understand what the problem is and to agree on the best possible care including surgery when appropriate, in a safe and child centred environment.
As a paediatric surgeon I provide consultations, management and surgery for a wide range of conditions.
Information to help yoiu prepare for surgery will be provided when booking ion for a procedure.
To arrange an appointment with GC Paediatric Surgery please contact,
Gold Coast Private Hospital
Suite 18, 1st Floor, Gold Coast Private Hospital
14 Hill Street, Southport QLD 4215
Medical Centre - John Flynn Private Hospital
Suite 602, Level 6, 42 Inland Drive
Tugun Qld 4224
P. 07 5594 9496 F. 07 5594 9102 | Send an email to Dr Thompson
FOR ALL PAEDIATRIC EMERGENCIES PLEASE CALL 000 OR PRESENT TO THE GOLD COAST PRIVATE HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE CENTRE